Ben Knoechel, MSc. Student
President of Geomatics Graduate Group
E.I.T., Msc. Student
Office: CCIT 361
I am doing my Masters in Geomatics Engineering. My research focus is on sensor data interoperability, and the use of data mining and information retrieval techniques for the aggregation and grouping of semantically relevant data layers.
- MSc. Geomatics Engineering (Expected December, 2012)
- BSc. Geomatics Engineering, with distinction, internship program (2010)
- Strong Object Oriented (OO) programming skills in C++ and Java
- Excellent knowledge of database systems including PostGIS, PostgreSQL, MySQL
- Familiar with Geographic Information Systems (GISs) and spatial data, concepts, and algorithms
- Public speaking and cultivated communication skills
Knoechel, B., C. - Y. Huang, and S. H. L. Liang, "Design and Implementation of a System for the Improved Searching and Accessing of Real-world SOS Services", International Workshop on Sensor Web Enablement 2011, Banff, Canada, 10/2011.
- Teacher Assistant (TA) ENGO 451 - Design and Implementation of Geographic Information Systems (F2011)
- Teacher Assistant (TA) ENGO 351 - Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (W2011)
- Teacher Assistant (TA) ENGO 451 - Design and Implementation of Geographic Information Systems (F2010)
I have many interests outside of my current degree program. I enjoy being physically active; I go to the gym, swim, and play squash many times during the week. When I was younger I played soccer and hockey, and also enjoy on occasion skating, skiing, and golfing. I enjoy drama, as in high school I was heavily involved in the drama community, acting and participating in student run plays. I have academic interests outside of engineering, notably history, evolutionary psychology, neurology, and linguistics. I know basic German (I spent a summer abroad in Stuttgart learning the language) and am currently trying to learn French.
Perhaps most importantly, I enjoy a good glass of scotch whisky. My favour bottles right now are Lagavulin 16 yo and the Balvenie double wood 12yo.